Following on from the 2008 recession – a period of austerity has begun with cutbacks in our services in the 2010’s and possibly 2020’s.
This page requires expanding – please tell us your ideas and recommendations. If you wish it, your name will be referenced next to your ideas.
Innovation comes from people, not technology. Under financial constraints of austerity measures, low income, small pensions and other small yet welcome inputs; we can innovative on how well we stretch our precious resources and protect things around us (community, the natural environment, the built environment.)
This is not a constraint yet an opportunity. From opening discussions with the Cathays residents and local businesses several suggestions have come up:
- Be a representative of your own street for PACT meetings.
- Group litter picks – focusing on a different area of Cathays on each gathering to clean up a specific street at a time.
- Volunteer at local amenities (libraries, charity shops, religious establishments, community centres etc.)
- Evenings out for senior citizens e.g. bingo.
- Incentive to shop in Cathays – similar to the ‘Shop in Penarth’ initiative, where Cathays card holders can money off products from Cathays shops.
- Set up local groups, e.g. collaboration of common interest (gardening, coffee mornings)
- Potential community garden or area for residents to meet and look after the green site.
This list is far from complete – together we can begin initiatives to improve links around Cathays and make your existing community continually enriched.
Would you be willing to participate or spearhead any of these initiatives?